The Cuban Sandwich is a work of art in the food world. Any cheesy, pressed sandwich with multiple meats inside is bound to be a hit. Adding a tangy honey mustard and briny dill pickles will send your taste buds on a wild ride. Perhaps the best part of the sandwich is the Cuban bread that holds everything together. If you can get your hands on a genuine Cuban loaf, I highly recommend the extra effort. Otherwise, mini French loaves will work just fine. The outside of the bread gets crispy and charred on the grill, while the inside stays tender, juicy, and meaty. I like to use leftover Barbecued Whole Turkey if you have it. Also, if you have a sandwich press, bring it out now. Pressing the bread into the grill is what gives this sandwich its signature look.
These Cheesy Grilled Turkey Cuban Sandwiches can be cut into four pieces each as an appetizer or eaten whole for a full meal.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 Cuban bread baguettes, or 4 mini French loaves, about 15 inches long, halved
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1/8 cup mustard
- 1 lb. turkey slices from breast of Barbecued Whole Turkey, or 1 lb. of quality deli turkey
- 8 slices fresh Swiss cheese
- ½ lb. quality smoked ham, from the deli
- 16 dill pickle slices
- Pour some olive oil in a small bowl, using a grill brush, baste some oil on the outside of your halved Cuban bread.
- In another small bowl, mix honey and mustard together until completely homogenous. Set aside.
- Slice your turkey slices thinly or get your deli turkey ready. Lay an even layer of turkey onto the bottoms of the oiled bread. Top with two slices of Swiss cheese, and then a layer of deli ham. Top with pickles and then smear an even layer of honey mustard on the top inside of the bread. Repeat with the remaining three sandwiches.
- Preheat your grill to medium heat. Add your sandwiches to the grill over direct heat. Using foil-wrapped bricks or sandwich presses, press down on each sandwich so that the surface grills flat. Grill on each side 3-4 minutes until charred, browned, and has grill marks.
- Remove from the grill and allow to rest 1-2 minutes before slicing in half, on the bias. Serve one sandwich per person, or slice into fours for a party appetizer. Serve with extra honey mustard if desired.
- Category: lunch, snack
- Method: grill
Keywords: Cuban Sandwich, Grilled Turkey, Grilled Cuban Sandwich