Buffalo wings are so passé, especially during the summer months. Breaded, fried wings are a little too much for a hot summer day. Lately, the grill is the way I go when making wings. Using diced green chilies from the pantry is one of my favorite ways to impart a spicy, south-of-the-border flavor to my dishes. My Grilled Green Chile Chicken Wings are spicy, flavorful, and taste like the grill. I spice up the chilies from a can with tons of lime juice, spices, and honey. Marinate your trimmed chicken wings in this delightful, saucy mix before grilling over a screaming-hot grill. When done, I top the wings with fresh cilantro and jalapeno for brightness and freshness. With such few ingredients, there is so much flavor going on!
This recipe is great for a crowd, so be sure to make all four pounds of wings. Your friends would never let these wings go to waste.
- 2 5 oz. cans diced green chilies
- ½ cup lime juice
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 4 pounds chicken wings, drumettes and wingettes separated and wing tips discarded*
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for topping
- Fresh jalapeno rings, sliced thin, for topping
- In a gallon-sized resealable plastic bag, add green chilies, lime juice, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, honey, salt and pepper. Close up the bag and smash the bag around carefully to combine all ingredients and to break up the green chilies. Add chicken wings to the bag and place into the fridge for 4 hours, or overnight. The longer the better, but not too long since there is acid in the marinade.
- When ready to cook, preheat your grill to medium-high. Remove the wings from the marinade and place over direct heat. Grill 6-8 minutes per side, depending on the size of your wings. You are looking for grill marks and to char the wings, so make sure to keep them moving on the grill directly over the flame.
- When done, remove the wings onto a plate. Top the wings with fresh cilantro and jalepeno rings for a pretty presentation. Serve hot and enjoy!
Tip: Save your wing tips from this recipe for making chicken stock. They add the perfect amount of chicken flavor to stock and you will contribute less food waste. You get two delicious dishes for the price of one!
- Category: side, main
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Grilled Wings, BBQ Chicken Wings, BBQ Wings, Chilli Wings, Hot wings