This grilled steak recipe is perfect. It is seasoned before cooking to allow the flavors to meld, and seasoned after with a fatty, herbaceous compound butter. Is your mouth watering yet? The hardest part about making steaks is knowing when they are perfectly done. The trick is to have a meat thermometer on-hand to check the temperature to ensure the steaks are exactly as you like them.
For the Spice Mix
- 3/4 tbsp coarse sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
For the Herb Butter
- 1 pinch steak seasoning
- 1 stick salted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp finely minced rosemary
- 1 tbsp finely minced thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 1lb bone-in strip steaks, cut 1 1/2-inches thick
- Vegetable oil
- Add all spices together for spice rub. Mix to combine and set aside.
- For the herb butter, combine 1 big pinch of the steak seasoning you just made, softened butter, rosemary, thyme, parsley, and garlic. Combine to a smooth paste with a spoon. Spoon mixture out on plastic wrap and roll into a log. Twist both sides of the plastic wrap like a Tootsie Roll and set in the fridge to harden slightly.
- Toss your steak in the seasoning mix before grilling. Coat evenly.
- Heat up your grill so that you have one hot side and one cooler side. Place your steaks to sear on the hot side of the grill for 1-2 minutes per side. Once charred on both sides, move steaks to cool side of grill and cover for 7-10 minutes until your level of doneness is achieved.
- Remove steaks from the grill and set aside on a plate to rest 10 minutes. Top with 1-inch thick slice of herb butter and allow to melt over the top.
- Slice on the bias and serve steaks on top of some fresh arugula.
- For medium-rare, steaks should register 130F, 55C.
- For medium, 140F, or 60C. For medium-well, 150F or 60C.
- For well-done, 160F or 70C and above.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American, French