No one likes to feel left out. Especially at an event where there will be lots of eating involved. Vegetarians should always feel like they have something to eat when they go out to a BBQ. Commonly, non-meat eaters will have nothing to eat but coleslaw or a hot dog bun. Even if it’s extra, I will always have a delicious meatless dish on my BBQ spread. You never know when your neighbor is going to bring their new partner, who does not eat meat. Plus, these dishes are so delicious, no one is missing the meat. There are plenty of other meat options on the table to go around. This Grilled Vegetable Salad has a tangy, chunky pesto dressing and is topped with creamy burrata that begins melting as it hits the hot, grilled vegetables.
Your vegetarian friends will thank you for having a delicious, meat-free option for them!
- 2 small zucchinis, cut into rounds on the bias
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into quarters, stems and seeds removed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into quarters, stems and seeds removed
- 1 small eggplant or aubergine, cut into rounds
- 1 large red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 large bunch basil, chopped
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, chopped roughly
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 large balls of fresh burrata cheese, torn
- Pinch of flaky salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut and prepare all of the veggies for the grill. You will want bigger, thicker pieces so that the vegetables do not break down on the grill. Toss them together in a bowl with salt, pepper, and vegetable oil, then set aside and preheat your grill to medium-low.
- Assemble the dressing. Chop your basil and add to a medium bowl. Top with olive oil. Add roughly chopped pine nuts, minced garlic, Parmesan, and the lemon zest and juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Lay your veggies down on the grill and cook 4-5 minutes per side, or until tender and juicy with grill marks. Remove from the grill and arrange on a plate
- Pour ½ of the Chunky Pesto over the vegetables. Top the vegetables with torn pieces of burrata, followed by the other ½ of the pesto. Serve warm.
- Category: main, side
- Method: grill
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: vegan bbq recipes, grilled vegetable recipe, vegan, vegetarian recipes, vegetarian bbq recipes